Alice, Brea and I made it to Luanda, Angola!
I was afraid for the 14 hour flight, but it really went quite smoothly! I think I was way more stressed trying to pack and get ready for the flight than actually on the flight. Alice slept off and on the whole flight. While she was awake I just played with her and all was well in the world. I even got told by a stewardess that she thinks I'm an "awesome mom." Go team!
Brea was terrified when we got to the airport. She looked very scared as the escalator took her away. Poor puppy. She pressed her face against the kennel door and just stared sadly at me. When we got to Angola she was so tired from the flight that she was barely excited to see me. However, once we got home and let her out of the kennel she was thrilled!!! She ran around the yard and house and was her normal, happy Brea self.
My impressions of Angola so far are not bad at all. Everyone at the airport was kind and super helpful. They even let me skip the hour long visa line and go right to the front. I'd like to think it was because of me, but it was because of Alice's sweet charm and good baby looks! :)
When I got through immigration one of the drivers that Exxon uses was waiting in the luggage area for me. (Exxon has a contract with a driving company over here. We can never drive, and have to call for a driver to pick us up to go anywhere.) He was very nice, and a little shocked at the massive amount of luggage we had. teehee. I really should have taken a picture. It was a mountain of luggage! PLUS a frightened dog. While we were waiting for my luggage I chatted with some other travelers who spoke English. They were sweet and told me about their families. One guy is expecting his first baby girl in August and was in love with Alice. It was cute.
Once we got through customs (which was surprisingly easy) I finally got to see Phil!!!! What a breath of fresh air that was! It was WONDERFUL to see him!
We made our way out to the car with the driver and I got to see my first glimpses of Luanda. It was very poor, as can be expected. Most buildings and homes were made out of metal scraps. There were lots of people milling about and tiny booths of people selling things like soda or fruit. Also, there were a lot of cops and military guys walking around.
When we got to the compound there were some guards at the gate that checked to make sure we should be there and then let us in. The compound is very green and lush...especially compared to the city. You can see the ocean from many spots in the compound, including our master bedroom and 2nd story deck. There is a really nice pool and a couple play grounds. There were kids riding bikes and playing outside. Phil said it reminds him of the '50's where people didn't have to worry about as much and kids could just play outside. I mean, no one is going in or out of the compound except by the guards so that's probably nice for the parents.
We had a note on our front door and some cookies dropped off to welcome us, which was very sweet. Later we had another couple families meet us outside and give us more cookies! Everyone on the compound seems very nice and welcoming. I should be able to make some friends and stay entertained during the days!
The time change has been a bit rough on Alice, but not terrible. She woke up a lot during the night, but that's because her body didn't think she should be sleeping for the night yet. Also, she's in a new place, in a new bed and that never bodes well.
The random weird thing I have to worry about now is mosquitos. We've been told that they regularly check the mosquitos on the compound for malaria. I guess they aren't finding them here. They are mostly in the city. That's good, but we are still being cautious. Lots of bug spray and nets over our beds. Last night we apparently trapped a mosquito in the crib with Alice. Whoops. We also take medicine to prevent malaria (which is tricky to give to the baby, as it is in pill form) should all else fail.
Okay, well I need to probably get something done today. I will take some pictures around town and post them for everybody soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment