Monday, May 5, 2014

A Few Pictures of the Compound in Angola

Here are some pictures I took while walking around our compound here in Angola:

The back of our home in the compound

The view down the street towards the ocean from our driveway.

A cool tree across the street from our home.

One of the views of the ocean from the compound.

The front of the clubhouse.

A view down the street while walking...it's very green on the compound.

This is a view out of the compound. There are some apartment buildings under construction to the left, and a busy road to the front.

Another street view.

This is one of the playgrounds on the compound. Our home is on the left side of the picture.

I keep forgetting my camera when I'm out in the city. I will try to remember to get some pictures soon.

On Sunday we left the compound to go to a hotel that many Exxon employees stay at, to drop off some papers. It was a very nice hotel and costs $500 per night. yowzers. The drive was interesting. I guess the area of land between the hotel and ocean used to be full of tin shacks. They were recently torn down and the people were relocated somewhere else. We're guessing they're going to try and make that beach more touristy.

Today we went to Shoprite. It is attached to a mall over on the nicer side of the city. Everything is quite expensive and the local currency has a crazy conversion to US dollars. We spent about $150 which is 15,000 kwanza. We got some frozen vegetables, lots of bottled water, some canned foods and some household goods like cleaning supplies and trash bags. I'm still getting used to the idea of having to use powdered milk. It's going to be tough on me...but I suppose I will survive. :)

We met some more neighbors and Brea got to run around with another dog on the compound. Everyone here is SO nice and I am honestly happy to be here!



No comments: