Friday, May 13, 2011

Recipe for a happy birthday boy

Today is Phil's birthday and we've had a nice relaxing evening. He's playing James Bond online with a friend right now if you're wondering why I'm not currently spending time with him. It's very important that he doesn't take a break from saving the world just because it's his birthday.

Anyways, every year all Phil wants for his birthday is an ice cream cake that his mom makes. Unfortunately for him I've failed at this cake the past few years. What's so hard about an ice cream cake, you say? I'm not quite sure. I'll go with, "I over thought it".


My favorite part is the homemade hot fudge. Here's the recipe Phil's mom uses:

Ingredients:
1 Bag Chocolate Chips (12 oz)
2 cups mini marshmallows
2 cups evaporated milk (like the PET brand)
1/2 tsp salt

Throw all of the ingredients in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until it thickens. It will take about 15 minutes. Make sure to stir often and be careful not to scorch. 




If you're feeling very fancy you can make the whole cake with your new hot fudge! It makes much more hot fudge than I showed here, that's just what was left over.

To make the cake just layer ice cream then fudge and peanuts in whatever pan you'd like and pop it in the fridge for atleast a couple hours before serving. TIP, make sure you let the fudge completely cool down, it'll make your life much easier. Also I learned that if I take a knife and cut slabs of ice cream and place them in the pan it's pretty effective.


This is my excited face about the fudge.


This is my contemplating-eating the-leftover-fudge face. I'd hate to let any go to waste.


Here's our layered ice cream cake...


and our happy birthday boy!

I love him a lot!

1 comment:

Britany said...

you spoil him. are you sure he deserves it?