Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Adventures of Binding a Rug

My neighbor recently re-carpeted his condo and asked us if we'd like a big square of leftover carpet. Seeing as how our (hopefully) house has ceramic tile floors in the living room we couldn't pass up the opportunity for a free area rug. The only problem was that it wasn't bound around the edges and shed like a beast.

So I took to figuring out how to cheaply bind it.



I ended up buying a yard of matching fabric (on clearance for $6) and after measuring the perimeter of my rug rectangle, cut 10, 44 inch strips. I then ironed a fold into each strip about an inch down.


Next I took to cutting the carpet. This started out okay, but by my 9th yard my hands were dying! Anyways I cut the carpet down about an inch up to make it easier for me to attach the strips around the edge.


After that I took my  handy stapler and lined the folded part of the ribbon with the edge of the carpet, then stapled. I found out that the less cheap the staple, the less likely it will be to fail. I also learned here that after about 9 yards of that the palms of my  hands wanted to die. 


Next I folded the strip over the edge and hot glued it to the back of the carpet, with LOTS of glue! 


The front ended up looking like this.


Here's a view of (almost) the whole rug (my "workspace" was too small to unfold it entirely). 

I think it turned out pretty nice! It will definitely be a nice $6 area rug for us, for the time being atleast!

***House update***
We have our inspection on Friday! 

2 comments:

Britany said...

ha! That's awesome. You know that you could go buy an area rug, right? But, then again, if you bought it you wouldn't know how to do it yourself. You should get a show on HGTV.

Aleatha Shannon said...

this is really great to know! thanks! and good luck with the new house!