Ok, so as most of you know I have always wanted to work with the older adult population. So on a whim one day I decided to apply to a Senior Living Center down here to be an activities assistant. That would be a fantastic way to get experience so I can one day be an activities director! I interviewed with them and they almost gave me the job... but then asked me if I can work on Sundays. Well, I said I couldn't but that I would still be interested in another job there if I could.
A few weeks passed and I didn't hear anything. I was kind of happy because it means I can still feel free to go on vacation and do what I want, pretty much when I want to. At the same time I know I need to get experience to get the job I want later. Today I get a call from the HR person telling me that there was something about me that she really likes and that she really wants to find a job for me at their community. She offered for me to be a care giver (glorified CNA) or a care supervisor. I told her that it scares me to wipe butts and we talked about possibly me working with the independent living group where they need much less care like that. I'm going to shadow the two jobs on Monday.
Here's the dilemma in my life. I know I'm married and going to graduate in May...but am I seriously growing up? If I take this job I forfeit being with my family every year for either Thanksgiving or Christmas and I have to work every Saturday. If I do this my ability to get a job that I want (especially if I go back to work when the future kids are in school) will be much better. But it scares me to think about starting a career, not a job! I mean, I'm looking at staying here until I have children!
Moral of the story...I'm really glad Phil likes working and I get to be the stay at home parent because the idea of a career that I stay at until I retire is petrifying.

2 comments:
Ha! That is the best. But I think you would make a great diaper changer, just get in some practice before you have to change you own children's diapers
Children!? Eek!
Post a Comment