Friday, March 15, 2013

More Crazy News

So ready for breaking news #2?

Our little family is going to be moving to Africa. Yep. You read that right....Africa. Luanda, Angola to be exact.



Phil's work is sending us there for 2 years.


Angola, is the big pink swatch on the SW side of Africa. North of Namibia and South of The Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is a very big city that got populated very quickly when civil war broke out in Angola and natives fled for safety in the city. It's very poor but also is the most expensive place to live in the world.

We would live on a company compound in a house. As you can imagine the pay uplift is nice and it sure will be an interesting experience!

How does this effect baby you ask? Ha! Well....only time can tell for sure, but this is what we think we've decided so far:

1. I'm staying in the States while I'm pregnant, as medical care really isn't super adequate. I'm told most people fly down to South Africa for any significant problem. Seems risky to me. Also, taking the malaria medicine and immunizations probably isn't a good idea while pregnant.
2. Once I hit official whale status I'll travel north and live with family so I have some loved ones nearby while I finish out the pregnancy.
3. Phil will hopefully make it back in time to be there for the birth. He'll stay for a few weeks and then head back to Africa.
4. Baby and I will stay in the states probably until baby is 3 months old and then head to Africa to join Phil.

Crazy, huh? But honestly, I'm very at peace with the idea. Nervous, sure, but at peace. I think it will be a good experience and I can't help but feel like we may just need to be there for some reason or another. I know God has good plans for us.

The only way this all isn't happening is if something super dramatic happens. I'll keep everyone updated...and hey this may turn into a fun expatriate blog!

1 comment:

Britany said...

So, you're going to Africa with a newborn and I'm going to Korea with a newborn? Crazy! Did you ever think this is how our lives would turn out? Pretty amazing right? I'm excited (and a little terrified) for you! Good luck.